- During this month houseplants do not require watering as frequently as during warm sunny months. They are in a semi-dormant period.
- Do not fertilize house plants during this month, unless they are in a well-lit, warm environment.
- Remove snow piled up on shrubs.
- Prune tree and shrub branches that are damaged by snow or ice.
- Recycle Christmas evergreen branches that could be used as mulch. Branches should be between one to three feet long.
- Use potassium or calcium-based de-icing products; avoid sodium-based ones.
Ana graduated with an Associate’s Degree in Ornamental Horticulture from the College of DuPage. She continued her studies in Horticulture through the outreach program at the University of Illinois. In 2014 Ana completed the Horticultural Therapy Certificate Program through the Chicago Botanical Garden.